Sunday, May 2, 2010

At 59:I'm ready to shock Nigerians

Delectable singer and culture
promoter Onyeka Onwenu (MFR)
is a household name in the
African showbiz circle. Fondly
called Elegant Stallion, the
musician has been able to
inspire many younger Nigerians.
Her popular hit-track One Love
Keep us Together released in the
early ’80s, which preached love,
peace, and broad-mindedness, is
still enjoying airplay in many
radio and TV stations.
After completing her education
in the United States, Onyeka
returned to Nigeria to serve as a
board member at the Nigerian
Television Authority (NTA)
before leaving for music career.
Her unique pattern of music
won her the Best Female Artiste
at the Nigeria Music Award in
1986 and Best Female Artiste in
1989.
Even at 59, this great mother,
songbird, politician, broadcaster
and an actress, still looks elegant
and young. A woman of many
parts, Onyeka ranked among the
best artistes that Nigeria has
ever produced.
In a recent television recently
interview, the singer recalled
how she joined some of her
colleagues to inaugurate the
Performing Musicians
Association of Nigeria (PMAN)
which she served as vice-
president. Onyeka equally gave
an insight into her love life, her
music career, why she joined
politics, aside reminiscing on her
father who died in a motor
accident while she was four
years old. She recalled
nostalgically, “I wish you knew
my father”
Off the stage
Music is not something that you
just wake up and start singing.
For me, I take time to do my
own thing, presently, I am
working on an album which is
very exhilarating.
African female artistes
I am always proud of people like
the late South African, Marian
Makeba. I also love our own
Asha, Sasha and the rest, they’ve
been promoting African
heritage. I just want them to
continue with what they are
doing
My love for politics
In 2003, I competed for the post
of Chairman, Ideato North Local
Government of Imo State. That
election really taught me lessons.
I contested for the post in order
to make my people enjoy the
dividends of democracy. I
belong to the ruling Peoples’
Democratic Party (PDP). I am still
eyeing the seat.
What NTA should do
NTA needs to re-position itself.
The station should be
competitive and learn how to
treat indigenous artistes with
respect. The workers should
emulate what MNET and other
international stations are doing,
I think with that, our own
artistes would be encouraged.
My low-cut
I used to have long hair while
growing up, but when I was in
the US, I permed my hair and it
started chopping off, so, I
decided to lower it with
scissors. That was when I smelt
freedom, air could easily
penetrate into my head, and
ever since then, there was no
going back. Nevertheless, I use
to admire women, who visit the
salon, but I don’t think I still
have the patience for that any
longer.
As a mother
I must confess that God blessed
me with a wonderful family. I
have lovely children who are all
now in the university.
My father died in an auto crash
The memory of my father still
lingers in my brain, though I
was only four years old when
he died but I could remember
when he was a member of the
then House of Assembly. To me,
he was a very charismatic man.
He was extraordinarily honest
and I was very close to him such
that whenever he was going for
his political meetings, he would
carry me along. But funny
enough, when he died in an
auto crash, those whom he
helped were nowhere to be
found, especially those he gave
scholarships, and even people he
sent abroad. After the demise of
my dad, our mum turned us
closer to God
As chairman, Imo State Council
of Arts and Culture
This appointment gives us
collective respect. It’s not just
about me alone, but about the
people I represent. I started out
as a journalist on television here
in Nigeria, before I crossed into
music, so, I see myself
representing a whole group of
people who are coming after
me.
I see myself as belonging to
both journalism and theatre
because both genres work
together; they entertain, inform
and at the same time educate
the public. My appointment is
not about money but mainly
service to fatherland. But I’m
willing to continue to make that
sacrifice so that we can lay a
better foundation for the
unborn generation
My husband and I
When I was younger, I learnt
that love is a virtue that should
be celebrated and encouraged in
the society. My husband and I
have been living happily with
our children. I’m a very faithful
friend and mother to my
husband and children. I’ve come
to observe that, as a Christian,
one has to be very passionate
What people don’t know about
me
I have a lot of plans in stock for
Nigerian women, in order to
encourage them. I want to assist
them discover their latent
talents and that was why we
organised the Association of
Female Musicians (AFEM), which
centred on the less-privileged
and the physically-challenged
people in Nigeria.
Back in the days, women used
to make waves in the music
industry, but to my greatest
surprise; they all began to
relegate till I almost became the
only one behind. I felt
disappointed and I began to
approach some of them, we
later came together and
organized a concert for the
children of the Heart of Gold
Orphanage under the
management of Laja Adedoyin. I
remember, at the end of the
concert, we gave over N215,
000 and some gift items to the
Orphanage.
I’ll give Nigeria a shocker
My new album is almost ready;
Nigerians are yet to see the
other side of me, my best is yet
to come
NIGERIAWORLD | NIGERIAWEB | MESSAGEBOARD | ANNOUNCE STORY | NAIJANET | STATE NEWS | SEARCH
Good Morning! Monday May
03, 2010
advertisement
Services
Front Page
Back Page
Advert Rates
Subscription
News
Home
National
International
Business News
Abuja Reports
Sports
Politics
Sun Girl
Editorial
Editorial Issues
Letters
Opinion
Columnists
Community
Standard Guestbook
View Guestbook
Sun Chatroom
Features
Apettit
Arts
BlockBuster
CEO Magazine
Celebrity Fashion
City Sun
Crime Watch
Covert Choice
CyberSun
Enterprise
Everyday Heroes
Exquisite Property
Fashion & Celebrity
Fashion & Beauty
Favourite File
Health Magazine
How I write
Life Style
Living
Mafia Series
Man in the street
Man in the pulpit
Managing a Law Firm
Me & My God
Media People
Money
Motoring
Power Game
Romance
Romantic Faction
Senior Citizen
Showtime
Smoking Guns
Sun Splash
Sunlight of Islam
Travels
Window of the world
Window on widows
Woman of the Sun
Women in Business
Women & Me
Videoscope
Weekend Sun
Saturday Sun
Sunday Sun
Weekend Sports
Weekend Cartoons
Company Profile
About Us
Management
Contact Us

No comments:

Post a Comment