Monday, May 10, 2010

Yinka and I are two sides of the same coin-Joe Odumakin

Sunday, May 9, 2010
From childhood, Dr Joe Okei-Odumakin
wanted to become nun in the Roman
Catholic Church, after finishing secondary
school. But her father would have none of
that. So she went Kwara State Polytechnic
for the Advanced levels.
After passing the exams, she admission to
the university. Then one day, Odumakin a
Marxist lecturer at the university introduced
her to the works of known leftist
intellectuals and like they say, the rest is
history. In this interview, she looks back on
how she became a fiery human rights
activist, who is married to another dyed-in-
the-wool activist, Yinka Odumakin. Excepts…
Well, first and foremost, I had wanted to be
a nun because of the fact that my parents
were staunch Catholics and we were taught
by missionaries. Apart from that when I
went to church, my brothers were mass
servers and I was so much in love and
wanted to be married to Jesus and that was
it. That was how it was throughout my
secondary school days.
After my secondary school, I was 14 and
my brother told me he will be a reverend
father after his first degree and because I
am a lady, I should go after my secondary
school. My dad was in UK and my mum told
him. He said he would disown me, warning
that that I should not use his name. I was
too young to survive the shock; it was then
that I decided to go for my A-levels at
Kwara State Polytechnic and while I was
there, I still had it at the back of my mind
that I will be a nun.
So one day, I saw a poster announcing the
meeting of a leftist movement and attended
the meeting. We talked about agenda and I
said that they did not include opening and
closing prayers. Then somebody asked
rhetorically: “Who brought this one here?.
We are talking about serious things and she
is talking about prayers, please let’s go on
and discuss.” I was so irritated that I left.
After about two weeks, one of them came
and said that I should become a reverend
sister, and that prayer will be put on the
agenda. So I went for the meeting again
and the same person queried why I came
for the meeting, saying: “Who brought this
one here again? She will start talking about
opening prayers.” Because of this I said I
wouldn’t attend again. After my A-levels, I
got admission to the University of Ilorin.
One day after we had test, a lecturer
mentioned my matriculation number in
class and said that the owner of the number
should see him after the lectures. My friend
and I were looking for him around the
department, so my friend said “reverend
sister” and I said what is it? So we moved to
where he was and said to him that he
mentioned our matriculation numbers while
in class.
He led us into his office and pulled out the
test sheet and asked if it was my
matriculation number and I said yes. He
asked me why I was being called a
reverend sister, that I was a very brilliant
girl. I said to him that I want to be a nun, he
said that I should look at his shelf if I had
heard about Reverend. Martin Luther King,
Mandela, Rosa Park, Karl Max. He said I was
going to read about them and be a
reverend sister for the struggle.
This was in 1985. From that time I started
reading as if I was reading for my
undergraduate examinations and after we
would discuss. That 1985, the headship of
Women in Nigeria, Kwara State branch was
vacant, and then if you were contesting,
you had to go in for a manifesto night. I
was the second person to speak and I
started quoting those activists. At the end of
the day the others stepped down and since
that 1985, the struggle has been on.
You mentioned that you finished secondary
school at 14, how did you achieve that?
Well my aunt (mum’s younger sister) was a
primary teacher and my mum left three of
us with her when she traveled to Zaria. I
was a year and two months when she
started taking me to school as she took the
others as well. For her, taking second
position was a crime against humanity
because she didn’t tolerate nonsense
because people would say that it was the
children of teachers that were failing in
school; so she would flog when necessary.
Also when we came back from school, we
were made to read till 12 we were then in
primary school. Though she was a spinster,
she had about 12 children living with her
because they said she was a disciplinarian.
Her relations felt she would be able to
handle us very well; so at the initial age
they would say “go and stay with sister”.
We also ate twice a day because she didn’t
want anyone to be tempted to wet the bed,
hence we took our last meal by 4 pm; by 5
pm we would read and she supervised us
individually. By the time I was in primary
two, I left her and got into my school
because I had double promotion and in
primary five, I took Common Entrance
examination and passed, and made it into
the secondary school.
Apart from the lecturer who tried to
dissuade you from becoming a nun, didn’t
meeting your husband dash that dream?
No, because I didn’t meet my husband until
I became very active in the struggle. I
became active in the struggle in 1985 and
met him about 10 years after – in late 1994.
And it was because I was arrested for
circulating a set of documents at Ilorin, was
detained at the police command
headquarters. I had typhoid fever and was
being given drips.
When my dad came, he was asked to sign
an undertaking that I would be of good
behaviour but I just told my dad that I was
an adult and he shouldn’t sign anything for
me. I even told him that I would pack out of
his house once I left the hospital. The
reason was that security personnel used to
come and ransack our home. Then the
chairman of Nigeria Labour Congress,
Comrade Isa Bakare also came and I
refused.
The police just pulled off the plaster and
said they were taking me to Lagos. By the
time we were moving, I saw my dad and
several people, and that was how they
transferred me to Panti. As soon as we got
to Panti, Chief Gani Fawehinmi saw me and
asked what I was doing there. I also saw
someone with him that was staring at me.
He said: “Is this the Joe I have been reading
about in Ilorin and I thought he is a
man,” (because I used to sign my name as
Joe-Okei when I issued press releases). So
they just talked. After that I stayed there
briefly and was moved to Alagbon. So my
husband and I met in Alagbon in 1994.
I had been in detention for about 18 times
and it wasn’t as if he was the one that
influenced me. I had already been in the
struggle and had made up my mind about
the struggle. The only thing is that I said I
was not going to get married until there
was democracy. When I came out of
detention, we had a small group of three
comrades with him inclusive, and we
always discussed the state of the nation.
On one occasion as we were discussing he
said, comrades, I want us to discuss the
state of our union. I said which union and
he said with you. I said no that we have
more serious things. And he said he was
serious and asked for five minutes of our
time. He said that I should tell him why I
was not ready to get married and that he
would tell me why I must get married. So
our fellow comrades said that they would
hear me first.
I said that my first reason was that I didn’t
want any distraction. After the whole
debate, he said that for him marrying
somebody that has the same passion and
beliefs like himself was a suitable reason. So
the comrades decided that Yinka had won.
That was in 1995 and in 1997 we got
married. That was why Punch put it this
way in the story it published about us:
“What Abacha had joined together, let no
man put asunder.”
We tend to see most activists as very
physically strong people. Did you and your
husband get into the normal things like
dating and romance?
There was nothing like taking out, we were
always going from one rally or briefing to
another, even right from day one into our
marriage. Like after our wedding, we went
to a hotel in Ilorin, not really for the
honeymoon but we intended that the
following morning we would leave for
Lagos. But as soon as we got to the hotel,
about 30 minutes later, the General
Manager, called on the intercom and came
up to us speaking in Yoruba and related
that some people said he was lodging
troublesome people in his hotel.
So he asked us to leave because he didn’t
want something bad to happen to us. After
the man left, we checked out of the hotel
and headed immediately for Lagos to Pa
Adesanya’s residence since we had earlier
scheduled to meet in his office and then go
to Owo. We left at about 3 pm and got into
Lagos late, at about 8 pm and headed
straight for Pa Adesanya’s place; we had the
meeting and then headed for Owo the next
day. So there wasn’t any romantic moment
like in normal honeymoon but for me, my
happiest and greatest moments were
delivering a talk, going for rallies or when I
would put kerosene in my pocket, fold my
handkerchief and join a protest march.
Probably, I would watch films about
struggles.
I have never remembered any day we said,
let’s go out for dinner. Now that we are
married, most of the time we discuss the
state of the nation and at times, like when I
traveled to the United States for Hilary-
Obama debate, my husband had a different
candidate from mine but when a candidate
emerged, we had to accept the verdict.
Those times we always had strong debates,
so there is nothing like Valentine, birthdays,
and wedding anniversaries that we
observe.
For instance, when I had my first child on
March 12, 1998, I remember that we were
to have a press conference in Pa Adesanya’s
office that day. I started feeling uneasy at
about six in the morning. When I called at
the hospital the doctor said it was labour
pain. I told the doctor that he should stop
the labour because I had a press
conference, but he ignored me. I never
anticipated anything after the expected
delivery date passed. The doctor took me
into the labour room and by 5pm I had my
first baby.
Was your husband with you?
He was there at the hospital because he was
preparing the test and every other thing, he
also had all his papers at one corner. He
would come and see me and then return to
the reception. At a point he told the doctor
that he should let him know when it was
almost time for me to put to bed and before
the time, he came in and witnessed it. And
he was told that I had a baby girl. After the
baby was delivered, he left for Pa
Adesanya’s office in Apapa.
Fortunately for me, my mum was around
because she had come in to be with my
brother. So she came over and I told her to
take care of the baby and I headed to Pa
Adesanya’s office. I got in there and
everything went as usual as if nothing had
happened and people didn’t notice because
I have a flat tummy, so it looked normal.
Immediately after the press conference, I
returned to hospital.
When my mum asked me why I stayed so
long, I told her I went for a press
conference. Later I asked the doctor to
discharge me. We left the hospital and since
then it has been just like that because one
thing I learnt from my parents whle
growing up was to be up and doing, like
waking up as early as 5 am to do house
chores before every one got up. That has
helped me a lot till date.
Does your husband help with the house
chores?
Help! Well, to him, at least we have some
grown up cousins staying with us, so he
believes that we have more than enough
people helping out, but then there are some
things I would personally want to do like
cooking the soup for everyone. And when I
know that I am not going to be around, I
make sure that I do that and preserve it so
that there will be enough soup that can last
for everyone say about a week.
Also the thing is that I am not a food
person. I eat once daily while my husband
prefers fruits. So the question of assisting is
not there – the only thing he can do is to
pick the soup, microwave it, and make food
for himself when I am not around.
When you had the baby and was weaning,
did your husband help in changing the
diapers, cuddling the baby and other little
things when taking care of the baby?
Well, I will say that he tried; he did what he
could. The only thing is that most of the
time when I had my baby, I had to stay
around because I did exclusive
breastfeeding. So for three months it was
difficult and stressful and I didn’t really like
it. But at times, my mum had to go with me
to help look after the baby while I attended
to other matters. But he always got up
whenever the baby woke up, and he would
carry the baby, but as for changing the
diapers or bathing the baby, that was out of
it.
And there wasn’t much to do because our
mothers always came around. At a point I
had to ask him if he felt that we were
disturbing him so that we could probably
move into another room because our
mothers were coming into the room where
himself, myself and the baby were sleeping
but he felt it was part of the joy.
Why do you go by the name Joe?
During my primary and secondary school
education I was known as Josephine. Really
I have a husky voice and I grew up in the
midst of boys and was regarded as tom-
boy. I play hockey, do martial arts and
anything that a man has to do. So when I
got into aluta I just felt I should shorten my
name, so I chose Joe and also my dad used
to call me Joe.
What has motherhood taught you?
It has taught me to be caring, to be patient
and to be the one that will carry the burden
for everyone. For instance at home, most of
the time when I am around, I am always the
last person to go to bed. I try to ensure that
I tidy up things when they have all gone to
sleep. Before, there was a time in a stretch
of three weeks that I only had an hour sleep
because of the things that I needed to do
and after that I moved into the recent rally.
During the rally, I was almost going down
but Pastor Bakare shook me and then I
remembered I hadn’t slept enough.
Doesn’t this struggle tell on your health?
Well, just once in a while I feel somehow but
the thing about me is that during the period
I mentioned I knew I had not slept and
eaten for several days and I wasn’t fasting;
it was just that I didn’t remember food. The
last time I fasted was when I was in
detention and that was because they
refused to give me toothbrush. When I
don’t brush, that is the worst punishment
you have given to me. And because of that I
had to contend with serious ulcer when I
came out, but I thank God that I came out of
it.
What is your favorite dish and how do you
prepare it?
My favorite dish is egusi and red garri. I
prepare it at least four times in a week; it is
just my favorite. I first grind the egusi
separately, then the crayfish; I also grind
dry iru (the flat and black type), I grind and
add red and brown crayfish. Then I mix the
egusi with water and leave it to rise just like
you prepare akara. I put oil on fire; after
about three minutes, I put the egusi into the
palm oil to fry a bit.
Next I put a pot on fire and add water that
will be enough for the egusi am preparing
and when the water is boiling, I add to it
stockfish, dried fish and another type of
stockfish that is not dry. I also add magg
but not so much, a pinch of salt and leave to
boil. Later, I add the already fried egusi to
be dissolved into the stock and not need to
add oil again. Then I also add chicken woro,
ete, pepper, bitter leaf that is not too bitter
and allow to boil for another five minutes
then it is ready.
To make the garri is easy, my husband
doesn’t take garri but prefers pounded yam
which has been simplified to what we know
as Poundo Yam and amala as well. So when
I am taking mine he is taking his as well.
What makes your husband unique and
different from any other man?
Well, it is the fact that I found someone I
believe in so much. I so much believe in him
because he is principled, a tireless fighter,
committed to the cause and when he says
something, he will do it.
You know this struggle is male dominated
and so I have met a lot of men. When we
are meeting, you might have about 40 men
but you will find only myself as the female
person involved. I have had cause to meet
with a lot of men but the unique thing
about him are these things I have
explained: when he says he will do a thing,
he will do it and he is also a very brilliant
person.
When we debate on issues related to the
struggle, I see that he has that intellect and
that he has a strong use of words and those
are the aluta terms. And also his own
thinking makes him stand out, like if he is
not here and somebody says ‘Yinka, what
do you think about this?’ At times, we have
granted interviews separately and when
both interviews were brought together,
you will find out that my comment about
that view will also be in line with his.
What are the little things you do to make
your marriage work?
Well, first and foremost, it is making sure
that things are in order at home. There are
instances where I have had to travel for
about three months but when I’m around I
make sure that things are in order.
We run a timetable in the house, and there
is food available to be prepared; so
everyone knows when it is his/her turn to
do other chores, clean and make the house
very neat; it must be orderly. Even those
cousins that live with us also have their
rules – you don’t keep bringing friends. And
considering that we are more than 18, the
person can be unruly and no matter what
they do, one should respect one’s husband.
All of us are into the struggle together, but
then there are little things that you do at
home such as serving him food personally,
taking care of his clothing and laundry, all
these little things – like when he is stressed
up, you ask what the problem is. If you
understand the person, you will know when
he is happy and when he is stressed up,
you can ask him what happened and then
he can then tell you that these are the
things bothering him. In other words, one
should show that love, passion and concern.
One should ensure that there is perfect
communication between them because the
way you make your bed is how you will lie
on it. One should not say, I am a woman
and I own the house and so I can do
whatever I like, bring in whatever friend I
have, come in at whatever time I like. The
truth is that you should keep man informed
about your movements – like sending him a
text to say this is where I am going or
where I will be.
GSM has made it very easy now: couples
should exchange text messages, send
emails to keep in touch because you may
not see each other in the next 24 hours but
when somebody asks you where is this
person, you will be able to say for sure.
Consider the day a bomb exploded in Delta
State – I knew that he had gone there for
the Niger Delta peace; so the moment it was
mentioned I knew he was there because he
had earlier sent a text message. So you
should know you have a partner you are
accountable to and you don’t say, I am an
adult and just go anywhere you like.
NIGERIAWORLD | NIGERIAWEB | MESSAGEBOARD | ANNOUNCE STORY | NAIJANET | STATE NEWS | SEARCH
Good Evening! Monday May 10, 2010
advertisement
Services
Front Page
Back Page
Advert Rates
Subscription
News
Home
National
International
Business News
Abuja Reports
Sports
Politics
Sun Girl
Editorial
Editorial Issues
Letters
Opinion
Columnists
Community
Standard Guestbook
View Guestbook
Sun Chatroom
Features
Apettit
Arts
BlockBuster
CEO Magazine
Celebrity Fashion
City Sun
Crime Watch
Covert Choice
CyberSun
Enterprise
Everyday Heroes
Exquisite Property
Fashion & Celebrity
Fashion & Beauty
Favourite File
Health Magazine
How I write
Life Style
Living
Mafia Series
Man in the street
Man in the pulpit
Managing a Law Firm
Me & My God
Media People
Money
Motoring
Power Game
Romance
Romantic Faction
Senior Citizen
Showtime
Smoking Guns
Sun Splash
Sunlight of Islam
Travels
Window of the world
Window on widows
Woman of the Sun
Women in Business
Women & Me
Videoscope
Weekend Sun
Saturday Sun
Sunday Sun
Weekend Sports
Weekend Cartoons
Company Profile
About Us
Management
Contact Us

No comments:

Post a Comment