Friday, April 9, 2010

Now at 50,I want a first degree-Patrick Doyle

Looking back at his life of 50
years, veteran broadcaster,
Patrick Rutherford Doyle said
he is one of the most
fortunate individuals in life.
The multi-talented
broadcaster has tasted both
sides of life, having lost three
relations, including a wife
and a son to Sickle Cell
Anaemia.
But for each loss he has
suffered, the broadcaster
believes he has always emerged
stronger afterwards.
From the training he received at the
Federal Radio Corporation on
recommendation of his late mother at
the age of 20, he has since
distinguished himself as an award-
winning broadcaster at both FRCN and
NTA. Even without a university degree,
he has equally excelled as an actor,
producer, master of ceremony and
expert. The recent one was his
handling of a brief for Silverbird
Television (STV) which in turn gave
birth to Morning Show on STV.
He took Daily Sun on a retrospective
journey of his life, his 10 year-old
marriage to versatile actress, Iretiola
Doyle among others.
Returning to school
I have made up my mind to acquire
formal education before I die. I don’t
have to do this but I am doing it to
make a point to young people about
the importance of education. It’s not
because of learning any other thing
that I don’t already know. Whatever I
know and I have become came by
virtue of being inquisitive and being
ready to learn. Going back to school
will be in my own good time and I
won’t study something different than
my line of career.
My absence from the screen
It has been a long time I appeared in
the movies. I am glad producers have
found someone else to play the role of
pastor in their movies. The stereotype
is as a result of being unimaginative on
the part of movie producers. However
a Director, Tchidi Chikere tried me in a
different role recently. I played the
role of a lunatic and I did enjoy it. Ever
since acting has always been
something I did at spare time or for
fun. This is why I don’t regard myself as
an actor.
Leaving a legacy for my kids
Producing drama is very complex and
time consuming. I am 50 years old now
and I am concerned about using my
energy wisely. While drama
production is time and energy
consuming, the financial reward is
limited. At this point in my life, I look
forward to small work, big reward
because I’ve been thinking of leaving a
good heritance for my children. My
good name and goodwill is not
enough but I want to leave landed
properties for them.
My wife, Iretiola is a stabilizing factor
Indeed she has been a rock of Gibraltar
in my life and a stabilizing factor for
the past 10 years of our marriage. God
is good because He brings people into
one’s life for a specific purpose. She
came into my life at a time when even
strong men would have been shaken.
She is a good girl, no doubt about it.
She was not the only actress I have
worked with. We had a solid
friendship based on a mutual respect
for one another’s intellect. This was a
plus for me because everyone I have
ever considered my friend is
intelligent. In the course of my
friendship with Ireti, affection set in
and the relationship progressed, the
rest is history.
Romance for 10 years
I don’t know where this impression
about society people came from. One
thing I know to be true is that the law
of relationship is universal and is
without discrimination. It is not a
question of class, my wife and I have
respected the laws of relationship such
as respect for each other, mutual
fidelity, and loyalty to the marriage
institution etc. We are overrating this
society thing because society people
are simply ordinary people who have
been thrust into limelight. Having said
that I am not taken in by this celebrity
status because my wife and I, we
hardly go out to social gatherings or
club. Apart from our jobs which makes
us highly visible, we are content being
daddy and mummy to our kids at
home.
Chris Okotie and I
I was flattered to hear Pastor Chris
Okotie described me as his friend. He
used to be my friend but I regard him
with more respect. I consider him my
spiritual mentor while I see myself as
his spiritual son. Thirty years ago when
he was a music star, we hang out
together regularly and partied
everyday in his room at the Federal
Palace Hotel, Victoria Island. He is no
longer the pop musician that he was
then, hence I relate to him now as
Pastor Chris Okotie.
Children taking after me
My little daughter is a performer. She
enjoys it and is born to perform. My
sons are very shy but one of them has
the gift of the garb. He did a lot of
narration in Primary School and is
always the first to be called upon to
read the news at school party. I see
him joining my profession or doing
something close to it.
My new call on Sickle Cell awareness
A sickle cell foundation exists under
the chairmanship of Prof Olu Ajayi
which has been doing extensive work
of research on cure and prevention of
Sickle Anaemia. On my part, I hope to
use the Raymond Doyle Sickle Cell
Foundation to create awareness. We
embark on promotion. It is not for
nothing that I lost three close relations
including, my late wife, son and sister-
inlaw.
I have the respect of friends in media
like Lekan Ogunbanwo, Bisi Olatilo,
John Momoh, Bruces and I intend to
explore the relationships. God made
people with sickle cell come into my
life for a purpose. My late wife’s
younger sister, Ngozi died of sickle cell
anaemia. With my influence and
goodwill, I will do this for the rest of
my life. Maybe this is the reason I was
even born. I will dedicate meaningful
part of my life to this course.
Broadcasting Industry in Nigeria
It is only in Nigeria that a producer
buys airtime. We carry all the
responsibility such as developing
content, production, editing, seeking
adverts and buying airtime. I think
asking a producer to buy airtime is
criminal. This should stop. I hope to
join colleagues in fighting against this
anomaly. At present I am engaged in
the business of commerce. I don’t
enjoy it but I have to keep my family
together. So far, it has been very
promising. Indication is that it will
mature and grow. The business allows
me to bequeath something to my
offspring. However, my heart is in
broadcasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment