Sunday, April 11, 2010

Moremobo Akinboye,First Lady Saxophone needs hubby

Saturday, April 10, 2010
In spite of the risky job of policing the
nation, most police officers still take some
time off to catch fun and minister to their
passion. So it is for Moremobo Akinboye, a
30-year-old Police Constable-turned
musician.
The single mother of one from Ondo State
started her music career when she was in
her teens. The unique thing about this
musician is that apart from singing, she also
plays the saxophone, even as she is
heartbroken. Akinboye narrates her story to
Blockbuster thus:
“I attended Ebute-Metta Primary School and
did my secondary school at Mobolaji Bank
Anthony Grammar School, Sabo, Yaba,
Lagos. I later attended a Computer School,
bagged a Diploma in Computer, worked for
sometime before joining the Police Force.
I am interested in music, because music has
been in me since my teens, I found myself
in Nigeria Police band, I never knew they
will give me the saxophone as I was the
first lady to be given such instrument. It
was my coming into the band that brought
tremendous growth into it, and being the
first lady in the band, the task given to me
was great. But it has brought me into the
limelight. So, I am the first woman to play
saxophone in Nigeria Police band. I perform
as well as engage in my official duties, it
does not disturb me either. When I am not
at my duty post, I am playing the sax, and
my love for it grows by the day. I have
completed work on my album but I need
assistance to bring it out.
Why my marriage crashed
“I am not married but have a child for a
man. His decision to take another woman
made him to discontinue his relationship
with me. He went and got married to
someone else, but there’s nothing I could do
to remedy it. Right now, I am looking for a
husband.
The marriage crashed due to family
problem. His family and mine did not agree
to the marriage, he is from Ijebu-Ode in
Ogun State while I’m from Ondo, and being
an Ijebu man, my people said Ondo girls
can’t marry from Ijebu, and so came the
crisis. I did my best to make sure that the
relationship worked but to no avail. His
family made sure it crashed as they fought
me and made sure we were not together.
Eventually, we separated. Later, I asked him
if he has been planning to marry another
lady, he said no, and I don’t have the will
power to stop him, and since he did not
wed me, nor give me a ring as his wife,
there was nothing I could do. I took my
child, and left him. My daughter is just three
years old. The marriage was not up to one
year, before it hit the rocks.”

No comments:

Post a Comment