Friday, March 26, 2010

Truly,I have never felt a love like this-Femi Adeyinka

The R N B music genre is one
that is dared only by true
talents. In Nigeria, and
perhaps all Africa, it ’s held
firmly by soul singer Darey
Art Alade. In this interview
with yet-to-debut Nigerian-
born Boston raised R N B
singer, Femi Adeyinka, he
talks about himself and his
love for R N B.
This Westminister College
graduate of Business
Management ’s promo single,
Never Felt a Love, playing on
radio and TV, is one of the
highly rated, very promising,
R N B attempts made by an
upcoming act. Femi is signed
to Kennis Music. Enjoy your
read.
My full name is Olufemi
Oladipupo Adeyinka. My artiste
name is Femi. I grew up in
Nigeria till I was aged 11, 12.
Then I went to the States. I have
been there ever since. I grew up
in Boston area and got into
singing in my second year in
high school. Later, I joined a
group in the University and that
was it.
Has it always been R N B?
It’s always been R N B music for
me. I love Hip Hop and others
but R N B is what I connect to. I
grew up listening to a lot of
people, including Stevie Wonder,
Al Green, Sam Cook, Bon Jovi,
Daniel Jones, Joe and a lot of
others.
Why just Femi for a stage
name?
I think Femi speaks for itself.
One, it is my name and two, it is
what I think makes sense to me.
I have thought about other
names but I want people to
know where I come from. I am
Nigerian to the core. Femi just
fits.
What is your relationship with
the comedian, Gbenga Adeyinka
the 1st?
Gbenga Adeyinka is a big
brother to me. He is my first
cousin and has always been a
big brother since I was younger.
I remember our grandma would
send us both to the market
while growing up and he would
go and play football and buy me
something to keep quiet
(laughs). If I were to come back
to this world and pick a big
brother, I ‘d pick him.
Is there music in your
family?
I am the only one in the family
doing music. It must have come
from God. I started off as a
dancer. I always loved music as
a child. I was one of those kids
that couldn ’t wait to go to a
birthday party and win first
prize in dancing. I don ’t have
any form of training
whatsoever in music. My singing
is a gift from God and I have
also picked different things
from different artistes that I
have worked with along the
way.
Did it ever cross your mind
while growing up that you
may end up a singer?
No, I remember when they’d
lined us up as kids every
Christmas and ask us what we’d
like to be when we grew up. I
used to say, a lawyer or doctor.
God just has his way of making
things happen. I just know
music has been a blessing to me
ever since.
Have you relocated to
Nigeria now?
Yes.
So, tell me what exactly
brought you home?
Actually, I haven’t been home in
a while, so I came to see my
family. Then my big brother,
Gbenga Adeyinka, heard my
music about a year and half ago
and couldn ’t believe it was me.
So, he said I should come down
here and check out the music. I
came with Never felt a love but
a lot of people said I was too
foreign. So, I recorded a song
with Ego of Lagbaja. It is called
Mapami. I thought that would be
my first single release but then I
met with Kennis Music and they
loved Never felt a love. So, they
released it. I have been around
for about 4-5 months now and
the song is well accepted.
What’s next?
The next single is dropping this
week. It is titled Baby I got it
(money). It features a home-
based artiste which I am not
telling .
Where was the Never felt a
love video shot?
It was shot in the States by
Corrigon Smokehouse
production. It was shot two
days after the song was
recorded, because we loved the
song.
Did you write the song?
Actually, the song was written
for me. I was in the studio with
Mandy, a song-writer back in the
States, and I said I was looking
for a song that could express
love beyond the word L-O-V-E. I
was going to write the song but
he presented his song to me and
I liked it.
Is the song more fictional
than real?
For me it is both. When the song
was written, my ideas were
incorporated. It was one time
that I felt something for
someone-a very deep
connection. I could barely wait
to be in her presence, just like
the song says. So, I could relate
with the song, although the
situation has since changed.
Who first moved on?
Both of us. We had a mutual
agreement to move on because
it was a time when we were
both focused on our careers.
That was about four years ago.
Is the song that old?
No, the song was written last
year but the experience was
years ago. Sometimes, you write
in the moment, other times in
the past.
Are there plans for an album
release soon?
I am recording right now. We
are looking at an April release,
God willing. But we are dropping
the second single first. I am
looking at 12 or 13 tracks. It is
an R&B album, no doubt, but
there will be a couple of pop
songs too. I have a catalogue of
60 songs but I am still recording
because we are trying to find
the best songs that define Femi
as an artiste and will at the same
time appeal to the market.
Do you speak Yoruba at all?
Yes, I do. Mo gbo Yoruba (I
understand Yoruba).

No comments:

Post a Comment