Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I've been a victim of sexual harassment

Sultry damsel and fast rising Nollywood
actress, Titi Osinowo, is passionate about
the make-believe world despite the hurdles
in the industry. However, the talented
actress, who hails from Ogun State and
made her prominence on the scene after
her appearance on TV sitcom, Family Ties,
recently reiterated that sexual harassment is
rampant in the industry.
According to her, “I was once a victim of
sexually harassment in Nollywood and
those who say it doesn’t exist are liars
because almost all the actresses have at one
time or the other been harassed by some
randy producers or directors that are in the
industry. It’s so funny that some of these
randy producers or directors are popular
figures, however, there are directors and
producers, who direct and produce based
on your ability to interpret your roles.”
Continuing, this English Language
undergraduate of the Tai Solarin University
of Education, stated that it’s normal for men
to make advances at any girl of their choice
but when they make it a criterion for
getting a role instead of through audition
that is what is objectionable.
“It once happened to me when I was
invited by a producer to play a role and on
getting to the location, I was told that I must
sleep in his room before getting my role
and it was so annoying that I simply walked
out of the location.
“A director had also asked for a sexual
relationship with me in return for a role and
I rejected the offer because I’m not out to
cut corners. I have acted in flicks with
professional directors and producers, who
gave me roles without exchange for
anything, so why do I need to sleep around
just because I want to act?” She asked.
Titi has showed her acting skills in flicks like
Halimat, The Valley Between, This Time
Tomorrow, Asa, Omokehinde, Asiri Ojo kan,
Itan, Family Ties, Es Aimodi, Madaru and
Motaka Osi Danu.
The second child of a family of three, Titi
disclosed that growing up for her was fun,
though she had no time for frivolities or
social life, as she and her brothers were
constantly in the house.
“I’m the second child in a family of three
children. I attended St. Benedicts Primary
School, Abeokuta and later proceeded to Our
Lady of Apostles in Ijebu Ode before getting
a diploma in law from the Olabisi Onabanjo
University (OOU). But at the moment I am a
student of the Tai Solarin University of
Education, where I am studying English
language.
“Growing up was fun but was with so much
discipline. My father was a strict person and
my mum is the soft type, who had indulged
us in few things but while growing up, we
weren’t allowed to mix or have so much
friends like our mates, we were only left to
go to school and back home,” Titi said of
her growing up.
Speaking on her acting skills, Titi said she
has passion for the make believe world and
only developed the skill gradually.
“Acting is something I am passionate about,
I’ve got undiluted passion for the art and I
developed liking it while growing up. I
watched several flicks and knew I could do
it and when I was 17, I had fully developed
my courage to go into the acting world.
“I actually got into the industry through a
very good friend of mine, Biola Thompson,
who is also an actress and lives in Lagos
and has encouraged me by making me go
to locations with her. It was during one of
these visits that I met Funke Akindele,
through my friend and later met Toyin
Aihmakhu, who I had known in Ibadan and
that was it. Toyin started calling me up for
roles after seeing some of my works and
that has been my story into the world of
make-believe,” the dazzling actress said.
The one-time extrovert said these days, she
prefers to stay indoors and this is because
she wants to be viewed as a responsible
actress at all times.
“I used to be an extrovert but not anymore,
now I enjoy the company of my family and
my niece, who is just too funny. I stay
indoors with my family when I’m not on
location or away in school,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment