Saturday, March 6, 2010

Nigerian Models are least paid in the world-Geraldine Obi

Geraldine Obi is a chemical
Engineering graduate of Enugu
State University whose passion
for modelling and acting has no
equal. Borne out of the desire to
actualise her childhood dream of
achieving fame in life , Geraldine
started her modelling career
while still an undergraduate.
Presently the reigning Miss Abia,
she has featured in a couple of
movies to her credit. Our
reporter ran into her while on
location in Asaba, Delta State
capital,where she speaks on her
modelling and acting career, life
prospects and other issues.
Excerpts;
How is the acting and modeling
profession?
It’s fantastic, I’m coping well.
How long have you been
acting ?
I started acting since 2007.
And modeling?
I’m a model, dancer, singer and
an actress.
Which one of them comes first?
I started with modeling before I
veered into acting. I have been
into modeling as far back as
when I was a student in Enugu
state. I was combining my
education with my modeling
career at the same time. But I
went into acting after
graduating from school. In 2006,
I won Miss Nollywood in Enugu
chapter. Winning the crown
marked the beginning of my
journey into Nollywood. And
today, I ’m still here.
How many pageants have you
done so far?
I have been into pageantry for a
while now. My emerging Miss
Abia is actually the sixth
modeling job I have done.
But this particular pageant that
saw me emerging Miss Abia in
2009 was organised by NTA in
conjunction with Silverstone
communications. They crowned
all the queens in each state, and
we hope to meet at the Queen
Nigeria pageant where each of
the queens from the various
states came together to select
the over all Queen in Nigeria.
That memorable event came up
last December.
What does it mean to be Miss
Abia?
It gives me an edge over my
contemporaries. Her excellency ,
the wife of the State Governor
crowned me as Miss Abia.
Though, the competition has no
monetary reward, she willingly
gave me the money to start off
a project.
So, have you actually started
any project now?
I’m trying to see how I can help
in the area of creating
awareness concerning the
deadly disease called malaria. I
discovered that malaria is one of
the killer diseases in Nigeria.
I have a relation who suffered
from malaria parasite, and later
gave up the ghost.
While I last on the throne, I
want to leave a legacy. That ’s
why I chose malaria eradication
project as my charity project.
How do you fund the projects?
I pay courtesy visits to
corporate organizations,
government parastatals and all
that to raise fund for my
projects and also create
awareness from the public
about malaria eradication.
And what has been their
responses?
Thank God, some people are
responding very well, while few
others are still making promises
and pledges.
How do you combine acting
with your modeling career?
It’s not really an easy task but
I’m coping. I have been
combining my new status as
Miss Abia with my acting career,
in addition to involving myself
in other things that has to do
with modeling. I have to
relocate to Asaba because of my
passion for acting.
I run in between going for my
courtesy visits in Abia state and
my acting jobs. I thank God for
everything because the joy of
the Lord is my strength.
Have you endorsed any product
or brand yet?
A months after I won Miss Abia
pageant I also won Miss Rock
and Roll Globacom in Osun state.
So they signed me on a contract
to use my pictures for adverts
on GLO recharge.
So how many movies have you
featured in so far?
I really cannot recall now but I
have done quite a couple of
movies like Hidden treasure, Fire
King and my first movie was
titled, “Laptop”.
What is your perception of the
modeling industry in Nigeria?
The modeling industry here is
thriving, but we still have a lot
of work to do in this area to
make the industry meet
international standards.
What challenges have you faced
in the modeling industry?
One of the challenges in
modeling in Nigeria is the issue
of money. Nigerian models are
not paid well especially those
that have not hit the
international scene.
Can you say that what you are
doing now is a dream come
through?
Yes, I have always dreamt to be
a famous person. Despite the
fact that I read Chemical
Engineering, my dream has
always been to be a famous
person who will be in the public
eyes.
And you do not think you will
some day return to practising
what you studied in school?
For now, I am enjoying what I
am doing because it is
something I have passion for . It
is only God that knows what
tomorrow holds for me and so, I
leave all in his hands.
Being a ravishing beauty, how
do you handle men?
Even when I was in school, most
of my friends were male
students and so, I have learnt
how best to deal with the male
fans. Handling my male fans is
no problems at all. I know how
to turn them down politely. I
do not believe in being rude to
people to make my point.
So who is that special man in
your life?
No, I do not have one for now
You mean beauty queens and
models don ’t have boyfriends?
(laughs) not really…
What’s your kind of man?
I love a good-looking man,
wether they are short or tall
don ’t count. I love men respect
women and are God fearing.
What do you do to keep fit?
I eat the right thing at the right
time and I watch the way I eat
because I don ’t want to blow up
because it will affect my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment