Sunday, June 13, 2010

What i found wasn't true love-Rukky Sandas

She is one of the emerging faces
and if you like forces in
Nollywood. She is gradually
etching a place for herself in an
industry where stars and
wannabes get lost by the second.
Rukky Sanda in this interview
bares it all about her experience
and how close she is to
controversial actress, Mercy
Johnson.
What have you been up to
lately?
I’ve been working as usual. I’m trying
to finish up a script and start work on
Thursday.
After Lethal Woman have you
produced any other?
Yes I have. I have done Obscure motive
and In her shoes
How did Obsure motive and In her
shoes fair in the market?
In her shoes is yet to be released.
Obscure motives is really doing well in
the market. Jackie Appiah, Yemi Blaq,
Ngozi Ezeonu and others starred in the
movie.
Who are the guys in In her shoes?
Van Vicker, Yemi Black, Uche Jombo,
and others.
Why are you always working with
Uche Jombo?
That is the only film Uche did for me.
But in other production, you always
get to work with her. Why?
We’ve not really worked together that
much. Just a couple of other people’s
film and her film… the one she
produced. She is my friend, why
wouldn ’t I work with her? More so, she
is a professional. I don’t see anything
wrong in working with her.
You performance in Guilty Pleasure
was much better than that of Lethal
Woman. What happened?
They are two different characters.
Does it have anything to do with the
directing?
It has nothing to do with the directing.
It was the role, the character that I was
interpreting and that was all it was all
about.
Which would you consider your most
lively character in a film?
Well, I like to play any role. I don’t look
forward to the liveliness of a character,
everything is a challenge. So I try to
face new challenges in every role I
play. But I try to avoid being
stereotyped ,because there was a
particular time that I was always
playing a particular role. For now, I
would rather not play the role than
repeat .
How often do you get engaged in
other people ’s production?
Well, I work for other people, but I
don ’t just work for anybody. This year, I
have featured in nine films
.
Which ones?
I do not know. I have done one with
Uche, Desmond and others.
But, which of them did you play lead
role?
It is not about playing the lead role. It’s
about your role having meaning. You
can play a lead role and yet, it is
someone that played a minor role that
people will remember. I look at the
role , though, I have played lead roles
in about five of them.
What happened last year… you were
not that busy on movie sets?
I was busy doing some other things.
You were busy or the producers were
frustrating you?
Nobody can frustrate me. I do what I
want when I want. I have other jobs
that I do other than acting.
Since I ’ve known you, you are good in
commerce…
To make more money, you have to
invest. You can ’t keep working,
earning salary and spending money
and still expect to make more money.
You have to invest. Since my first year
in college, I have been travelling and
buying goods to sell.
Is that one of the things you learnt
from your mom?
Not exactly, I am just a commerce
oriented person. I believe you have to
invest to make more money. So, that is
the way I see it.
Do you think your decision to stick to
the English genre of movies despite
being Yoruba has paid off?
Yes. It is what I want to do. It is not
what anybody thinks and wants me to
do. I ’m being what exactly I want to
be, I’m exactly where I want to be.
Moreover, I don’t see anything wrong
with a Yoruba or an English film. The
most important thing is for me to have
interest in either . If I don ’t have
interest, I won’t do it.
How easy has it been for you as a
Yoruba actress?
I don’t think it has anything to do with
tribe. From my own point of view, I
don ’t think it has anything to do with
you being Yoruba, or Igbo. If they see
you are good and they want to employ
you, they will .
But people complain of prejudice all
the time?
Fine, it doesn’t mean they are
discriminated against or something. I
think it is just the idea people have
about it. There are lots of people that
have made it today, they didn ’t just
come into the industry and just made
the award. You have to work hard. You
have to be persistent.
So those complaining about prejudice
don ’t know what they are talking
about?
I don’t think they try hard enough. I
don’t think anybody should tell you
what you want to be, who you want to
be and where you want to be. I think,
if you want something you have to go
and get it, you can not settle for less.
So not settling for less means, if a
producer asks you out you will not
oblige him?
I don’t know. I’ve seen it happen. I
have see some couple of girls calling
the producer and he didn ’t even have a
job for them. He was like, if you want
this, you should do this. It ’s how you
throw it at them, it’s how they see you,
how you present yourself. I think you
should let your work speak for you and
if you have the opportunity, try to
make the best out of it. Don ’t appear
desperate.
How did you do your own without
coming across as desperate?
I just do my job and get out. Again I let
my work speak for me.
Did you not work for Chico Ejiro
before?
It was Chico Ejiro’s office but it was
Sunny Mccdon’s production. That was
where I got my first role.
Tell me your period of trying hard,
what were those things that you
went through?
I think I’m totally different.I am not
that kind of person that wants to die , if
I don ’t get the job. I will always have
something to do. At a time I used to
have a big problem leaving Lagos to
work. That was my major issue until
recently.
You have your hands in so many other
things. Are you not taking on so much
at a time?
I create time for everything I want to
do. I said I ’m a business person. If I see
a business that I can do and it’s
profitable for me, I will sit down and
say I ’m an actress by profession, this is
what I should do. No, I will not do that.
I will create time and work towards it
and I will achieve what I want.
How profitable has it been, being a
producer in the English genre?
I’m blessed, thank God.
They say it is very expensive to
produce a movie?
Yes it is and that is why you have to
take your time to do something that is
good, so as to make your money back.
Have you always made your money
back?
Not really . The first movie I did, people
were selling it behind my back. Piracy
denied me my rewards.
What film was that?
Lethal Woman. It was my first film and
I regarded it as a trial. I had issues with
actors in the film and that was because
of my lack of experience. I won ’t say
the movie was unsuccessful; at least I
made my money back.
What about Obscure Motives?
Obscure Motives is still selling very
well in the market though I have not
put on TV stations yet.
How was it with Van Vicker because
some people believe that Ghanians are
very rude on set. What is your take?
That’s is a big lie. Whoever said that is
not a good person. It’s not true at all.
When are you getting married?
Not any time soon.
How would you describe true love?
It’s caring for someone unconditionally
and being happy.
So, have you ever found true love ?
Yes.
What happened ?
It didn’t work out.
But someone said, true love is
supposed to last forever?
So I heard o. Maybe I should say what I
had wasn ’t true love , but when I do
find true love, you will know.
Some people say you are one of the
big girls in the industry. You change
cars and live big. What ’s your take on
that?
I thank God for my life and for blessing
me. I work very hard. That is why you
see me using ten phones at the same
time.
Are you a friend of Mercy Johnson’s ?
She’s not my friend. I have never had a
conversation with her in my life.
We ’ve only worked on the same set.
Can you invite Mercy Johnson to one
of your movies?
If she fits in, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment