Thursday, March 1, 2012

My mood determines what I wear – Akpoborie

Jonathan Akpoborie, is a former Super Eagles player who spent most of his  football career in Germany. He is currently a FIFA Licensed  players agent.
In this interview with Hi Groove,  Akpoborie opens  up on his life on the football pitch and why he loves to dress the way he does.
Excerpt:
In the Beginning
I started off my footballing life playing the Felele football on the street with friends.
Although football was not taken seriously in our time, we still enjoyed the game.
My  passion for football was inspired by the exploits of my elder brother who was a good footballer then.
His performances in school and in competitive football matches between our school and others,  contributed very much to my loving the round game.
As I grew up and got more involved in the game, I took to watching the television to see how big teams competed against each other. I particularly enjoyed watching the English and Brazilians teams because I thought their pattern of play was fascinating. All of these helped in developing my interest in the game.
My journey to stardom began when I was invited   to join the Under-17 national team and I thank God I didn’t disappoint the coaches.
My success at that level and the club  also  contributed to my making the senior national team, the Super Eagles.
To be modest, I was one of the lucky few from Ajegunle that ever made it to the national team.
And that’s why I’m doing my best to help those talented players who don’t  have the opportunity to take their football trade to higher level.
I started off my professional football career with the Julius Berger football club, before moving on to the United State of America.
In 1990, I joined  FC Saarbrucken, a second Bundesliga clubside in German. I also had  spells with FC Carl Zeiss Jena and Stuttgart Kickers where I emerged top scorer with 37 goals in one season.
In 1995, I joined top-flight Hansa Rostock but two years later, I moved over to their rival team VFB Stuttgart and then VFL Wolfsburg in 1999. I  retired from active footballing after a spell with Saarbrucken in 2002.
Life outside football
*Akpoborie
I try to live a normal life. But its tough. Life after retirement is difficult because whenever you stop playing football, you begin to learn the process of getting over routine training everyday.You also learn to adapt to a new life style  different from the one you spent flying around the world for competitions.
It is a difficult task to adapt to a new life style after you’ve spent the better part of your life travelling from one country to another. Really, life outside  football is not easy.
But I had to adjust to a normal lifestyle. It is a new life all together, because no coach would disturb you to come out for training or say you have not worked hard enough to warrant a shirt in the team. Truly, it’s freedom sort of, but I still work out to keep in shape. You need to keep in shape all the time.
Exercise
Yes, I still exercise and play football regularly with my friends, because its  good for my health.
Mood and dressing
My mood determines what I wear everyday. But I like to dress well. I also follow the trend in fashion because I don’t want to be left behind.
I like being fashionable all the time. And just like they say it, I Iove looking good because its good business.
Although, I don’t dress to stand out, I love wearing comfortable things. I wear only things that look good on me, designer or not.
I don’t like  wearing loud coloured or flashy dresses because I hate drawing attention to my self. I wear corporate dresses most of the time when I am going out for business. .
Accessories
I love  good and quality shoes and my preference depends on my mood. I also compliment it with good wrist watches and good perfumes. I also love chains and necklaces a lot.
Women and I
I have female admirers and I respect them a lot. It is very unfortunate that in this part of the world men don’t respect women. For some men they have their reasons for not doing so , but I feel women should better  respected.
Smoking and Drinking
I have done virtually everything in life during my active days in football. The only thing I never practised is smoking.
I learnt about the danger in smoking as a child especially having seen so many people die from it. So I never indulged  in the act.  But I drink socially. I only drink stuff that I’m  comfortable with.
Likes and dislikes
I hate crowd and I don’t like places that are crowded. It is more disturbing when one walks into a place and the people chase after you. It is the price one pays for fame. I like private places because most of the time I like to be left alone.
Food and fruits
I don’t like solid foods like eba and , pounded Yam. Instead, I prefer rice, plantain and salad. I also like spaghetti. I got used to these foods during my playing days as a footballer. These were the food we ate as footballers.
I also enjoy eating plenty of fruits but my favourite is orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment