Friday, December 3, 2010

Why I Stormed out on Obi Asika-GT tha Guitarman

Several times the media had reported him leaving the record label he was signed to owing to his expired contract. But each time, he refuted the claim.
For the first time in years, Gbemiro Tokunbo Akingbogun whom we all know as GT the guitarman, discusses  life as a Storm Records artiste, why he couldn’t leave Storm two years after his contract expired and how he’s forging on with his new label called ‘Ember Entertainment’.
How does it feel starting off on your own?
I’ve always wanted to have a company of my own but then I used to think you need to have all the money in the world to do that. Somehow, because of the people I’m surrounded with now, they make me feel like I can actually do just that.
GT tha Guitarman
And already I’ve been getting free stuffs. There are three directors who have decided to shoot videos for me for free. There are two producers who want to work on my album for free and someone’s working on my website for free. There are about five managers managing Ember entertainment. It’s a great thing. There’s no record deal bigger than that. It gives me freedom to do my things myself. I could wake up in the middle of the night with an idea, call my team, tell it to them and we can actualize it.
Why did you decide to name your company ‘Ember’?
I first came up with ‘Me Records’ but someone said it sounded like EME (Banky W’s record label). My managers said we needed to find a name that represents who I am and that’s very much like the ‘Ember’. The dictionary meaning of the word ‘Ember’ is ‘wood or coal that’s not burning but is still red and hot even after the fire’s out’.
I have a spirit that can’t be killed. I’ve always tried to inspire people in different ways and it’s finally time to let it reflect in my own life. That’s what Ember is about-it’s the never dying spirit that I carry.
Why start now?
I was signed to Storm Records for three years. I got signed in 2005. It’s 2010 already meaning I stayed two years extra.  That was because my album wasn’t released on time. While it delayed, I wondered if I should leave and let all the songs I’d written go. I had to consider a lot of things but finally I’ve made the decision and the news is out there that I’m no more with Storm Records. We’re friends though and I hope we can still do business together but in a different way this time.
Why didn’t you move out before now?
I loved it at Storm. It was pretty convenient. If I got broke, I could easily call Obi (Asika _ Storm records boss). If I needed to buy anything at all, he would easily give me. But it just gets to a point that you tell yourself that you need to lay a foundation for something that’s real. I asked myself, ‘will I keep asking Obi for money’?
‘If I want to get married, will Obi be responsible for my bride’s price’? I needed to create a next level for GT. I know of so many artistes who don’t have a career anymore and there’s nothing to fall back on. I just had to do something for my life and I think ‘Ember Entertainment is the next level. It’s a place where I can have total control of my life.
Did you make money while you were with Storm?
I played a few shows. I made some money but then it depends on what you call ‘money’.
How prepared are you for survival, as an independent artiste, in the keenly competed musical terrain?
That’s part of the reasons why I had to make structural adjustments. If certain things are not working, one should try to look out for how to better them and that’s what I’m doing.  There will always be a point when one leaves to start out things for himself.
Did you make any effort at renewing your contract with Storm?
They wanted to renew the contract but I had my own goals, dreams and year by year plan. Most of the goals I set for myself weren’t achieved while I was with them.
In all the years of delay did you ask questions and what explanations were you given?
I don’t really remember all the details because I left them behind. When the album finally came out, I was relieved.
So what’s the full scope of ‘Ember entertainment’?
For now, it’s an entertainment company concentrating on GT the guitarman. It’s a record label cum so many other things. We intend to go into fashion too but that would be much later. You know priorities change per time. For now it’s the record label arm I’m pushing. We intend going into partnership with the guys shooting the videos.
What changes are coming with the Ember?
One, the Afro’s gone. Two, there’s no more ‘the guitarman’ _ it’s simply GT. Then, I lost the hat. I’m a bit more experienced. I know more about the business now than five years ago. I’m more in control now ‘cos it’s my business. A lot of things have changed.
Will the music change?
It’s the same style you’ll be having just that I’m going to be a little more commercial with my songs. I’m going for some of these easy-sell songs. There’ll be one or two of them in my coming album. I already have a list of songs I intend to record. I wrote them way back and I’m just choosing from the list.  It’s going to have about twelve tracks.
Do you have a title for the album yet?
I’m looking at ‘control’ but it’s not final yet. The album will drop next year so there’s no need to rush for a name. I know that the first single I release will go a long way in affecting the perception of Ember entertainments so even though I’ve recorded some of the twelve songs I’m not releasing any yet till my team chooses. Whatever I do is going to come out great.
Where and how did you finally find the courage to walk away because the media had reported you leaving so many times?
There comes a time when you have to say good bye especially when you find out things are not working. You list the options available and make your decision. It was just time that I stood up and be a man.  There are so many artistes on the label and you had to wait your turn which is normal. I had to plan things well before making my decision. The times I asked questions they said, there were problems with the marketer.
So is losing the Afro part of the ways you intend to forget the brand Storm built?
Not exactly. Growing an Afro was Obi’s idea. That was because I was pretty young then. The Afro was suppose to help me look more mature or older. I don’t need that anymore. Now, I’m 26. I’m grown. It’s been five years and it’s time for ‘Ember Entertainment’.

No comments:

Post a Comment